Halloween At The Sixth Element School
Halloween is an exciting festival – where children dress up in scary costumes with some interesting rituals & customs .
If you’ve been wondering why its celebrated – here are some fun facts from the Sixth Element school & daycare – which has two campuses at South City 1 near Huda metro station & Signature towers and Tata Primanti at Sector 72, just off Tatvam villas near Golf course extension road, SPR and Sohna road.
Halloween is interestingly the short for ‘Hallows’ Evening’ ; of which “hallows” means a saint of holy person and therefore Halloween or ‘All Hallows’ Evening which in simple words is ’all saints evening’ – a celebration to remember the departed or the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed.
- Halloween is similar to the “Sharadh” period in India when we pay homage to our ancestors and the departed.
Halloween is beginning to get popular in India especially in some big city affluent urban areas; is celebrated as their all saints day by Indian Christians – although like Christmas children and from other communities also enjoy…
Its observed in several countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of the All Hallows’ Day. its usually celebrated in countries where “celtic” is spoken – such as Ireland, Scotland, Britain, the US, and some parts of Europe, etc and as a build up to this festival – like many other festivals – Halloween lanterns spring up in communities and shops – besides sale of Halloween costumes ..
- It’s a very old festival from the pagan times – from before Christianity came and has pagan roots
- Trick or “trade” – this is an interesting custom somewhat similar to our Sharadhs period in India, wherein children go from house to house (dressed up in costumes), asking for treats with the phrase : ‘trick or trade” . The treat given to the children is usually some form of candy or some money !
- Bonfires and candles are lit as a part of ritual to mark the end of summer …..and to mark to beginning of Winter !
- Other Halloween activities include various forms of households play including carving pumpkins into jack-o’-lanterns, lighting bonfires, apple bobbing, divination games, playing pranks, visiting haunted attractions, telling scary stories, etc – it’s fun and children lead the way as its largely a small children’s festival
- during this period – just like our Sharadh period its customary to abstain from meat with the tradition reflected in eating of certain vegetarian foods on this vigil day, including apples, potato pancakes, fruits & seeds and cakes. Its customary to leave some food outdoors to appease the souls of the departed – as it is believed – that the souls of the departed visit their homes on Halloween !
Given our commitment to experiential learning – we share such fun facts – for helping children enjoy learning @ the Sixth Element School.
Igniting the joy of learning@ the Sixth Element School
Do share your thoughts & views.. if this resonates..
BTW THE SIXTH ELEMENT SCHOOL & DAYCARE IS SPONSORING THE GURGAON WONDERLAB HALLOWEEN EVENT HAPPENNING ON THURSDAY OCTOBER 31ST EVENING AT THE V CLUB @ TATVAM VILLAS – RIGHT NEXT TO OUR TATA PRIMANTI CAMPUS . TICKETS ARE AVAILABLE ON BOOKMYSHOW OR CONNECT AT WWW.WONDERLAB.CO.IN FOR MORE DETAILS…SEE YOU